MHI Group will start the demonstration
Company targeting new business in the domestic market
– Next-generation system increases parking capacity and improves safety and convenience
– Testing in a commercial installation will verify handling performance and gauge user satisfaction
TOKYO, June 13, 2022 – (JCN Newswire) – Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. (MHI) and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Machinery Systems, Ltd. today began demonstration testing of an automated valet system at a large-scale commercial facility near Tokyo. The system uses Automated Guided Vehicle (AGV) robots, nicknamed “Stan”, made by Stanley Robotics, a venture capital-backed French company. The event marks the first application of this type of autonomous vehicle handling system in a shopping complex in Japan.
|Automated valet service|
|Image of the demo test area|
|Stanley Robotics “Stan” AGV Robot|
The demonstration tests will be carried out with the cooperation of Mitsubishi Estate Group. It will take place in a designated parking area at Shisui Premium Outlets, a shopping mall located in Chiba Prefecture and operated by Mitsubishi Estate.Simon Co., Ltd. The vehicles will be transported autonomously by AGV robots in an environment close to the real application, to verify handling performance and assess user satisfaction.
The MHI Group is aiming for nationwide deployment of automated valet parking systems as well as automated systems for transporting finished vehicles. Working in conjunction with Stanley Robotics, a world leader in the development and deployment of automated valet parking systems using AGV robots, MHI Group has been undertaking demonstration testing at MHI facilities since October 2021. Now with the data to be acquired through demonstration tests at real commercial complex, MHI Group will further accelerate its initiatives to ensure the commercial viability of these services in Japan.
MHI Group, as part of its growth strategy under its Mid-Term Business Plan 2021, is currently taking steps to grow its solutions business through the realization of smart social infrastructure, with the aim of realizing a carbon neutral society. This project is one of several initiatives that MHI Group is working on to support “CASE” era infrastructure*. By taking the initiative to provide automated valet services based on AGV robots in shopping malls, shopping complexes, amusement parks, airports, etc., MHI Group will contribute to the realization of a safe society, comfortable and durable.
*”CASE” is an acronym derived from the words “connected”, “autonomous”, “shared” and “electric”. It refers to the current technological trend in the automotive industry to create next-generation mobility services that provide exceptional safety and convenience.
Concepts behind automated valet parking based on an AGV robot
1. Arrival: The customer parks in one of the “berths” set up next to the establishment, and simply drops off the vehicle. No need to search for a parking space or walk from a remote parking space even in bad weather.
2. Automated transport: The AGV robot automatically transports the vehicle to a designated parking spot. Robot-assisted parking makes more efficient use of limited space, to increase parking capacity. Storing the vehicle in the separate parking area also prevents accidents or theft.
3. Reservation for departure: The customer can simply make a reservation for departure at any time via the smartphone application. As the reservation time approaches, the vehicle is automatically transported to the berth. Since the customer can confirm the status of the vehicle through the app, it is possible to continue shopping, dining, etc., which makes more efficient use of time.
4. Departure: The vehicle is available for pick-up at the dock at the reserved time, so there is no waiting. The berth is spacious, allowing easy loading of passengers and packages comfortably without stress.
Automated Valet Demonstration Test Profile:
Location: Shisui Premium Outlets parking area P9
Schedule: June 13 (Monday) to July 1 (Friday), 2022 (subject to change)
How Stanley Robotics’ “Stan” AGV Robot Works
The AGV “Stan” robot is equipped with a platform that lifts the 4 wheels of the vehicle, and automatically transports the vehicle inside or outside. This robot began commercial operation from 2018 in a parking lot at Lyon-Saint Exupéry airport in France, and was then put into service at Gatwick airport in London.
About Stanley Robotics
Stanley Robotics is a high-tech company that combines hardware and software to provide outdoor logistics solutions. The technology lies in a robot that autonomously lifts and moves cars and in smart storage management software. Robotics has transformed indoor logistics (e.g. in warehouses), leading to a dramatic increase in productivity. Stanley Robotics’ ambition is to bring this transformation to outdoor logistics with its proprietary technologies.
Founded in 2015, the SME is headquartered in Paris, France, and is also behind the world’s first outdoor robotic valet service. For more information visit https://stanley-robotics.com/en/
About MHI Group
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) Group is one of the world’s leading industrial groups, spanning energy, smart infrastructure, industrial machinery, aerospace and defence. MHI Group combines cutting-edge technology with deep experience to deliver innovative and integrated solutions that help achieve a carbon neutral world, improve quality of life and ensure a safer world. For more information, please visit www.mhi.com or follow our insights and stories at spectra.mhi.com.
Source: Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd.
Copyright 2022 JCN Newswire. All rights reserved.