The Anti-Preview: Notre Dame VS #16 BYU Cougars – with the latest odds
The Notre Dame Fighting Irish finally reached .500 two weeks ago with a convincing win over North Carolina on the road. While there’s still a long way to go for Notre Dame to accomplish anything of merit this season, there is real hope on the table.
Whether or not that hope remains on the table depends on how Notre Dame plays against the BYU Cougars in this year’s Shamrock Series.
What should you drink?
Although I’m not familiar with the term “Vegas Bomb”, I know the ingredients very well.
- 1 1/4 ounces Crown Royal whiskey
- 1/4 ounce peach schnapps
- 2 ounces of cranberry juice
- Red Bull or other energy drink in a separate glass
- 2 – 4 ice cubes
- Mix the Crown Royal, peach schnapps and cranberry juice in a shaker with a few ice cubes. A Boston style the shaker is best for most cocktails.
- Shake for about 10 seconds to combine all ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into the shot glasses, using the helm strainer to prevent the ice from falling.
- Pour your red bull into another glass, using as much or as little as you like. Make sure the shot glass fits in this glass.
- Serve the shot and the glass of Red Bull together. The shot must be placed in the glass and drunk together quickly.
What should you eat?
When I was a kid, I remember hearing my aunts and uncles talk about crab legs in Vegas – like nowhere in the world are there bigger crabs. [dramatic pause for obvious built-in joke] Honestly, people will spend an entire day smoking meat for a game. All you really need is a few minutes for some luxurious crab legs. Sounds like a good deal.
What should you wear?
Look – I know everyone loves the white hoodie from the Shamrock series, but after googling “Vegas fashion”, I just don’t understand how anyone can live without it.
According to DraftKings Sportsbook, Notre Dame is now a 4-point favorite with an OVER/UNDER of 51.5. The moneyline sits at -180 on an Irish win.
Dimensions/lines subject to change. The T&Cs apply. See draftkings.com/sportsbook for more details.
The Shamrock series,
Better than Provo, I guess,
Te’o says hello.
3 reasons to hate BYU
- In 2020, most The Athletic staff went crazy for BYU vs. Coastal Carolina as their Game of the Year despite a certain thrilling game in South Bend that saw the nation’s No. 1 team fall.
- The moans and boobs about Notre Dame NOT playing Provo are sad. Be a bigger/better program, nerds.
- Not only was the loss to BYU in 2004 an abomination, but so were the Cougars’ uniforms that day.
- Drew Pyne. Now I know what you’re thinking – the Irish should be running all over BYU, so maybe a running back or offensive lineman should be here. Yeah… but no. Pyne is going to have to throw in some throws to keep things fair, and with a completion percentage over 70% in the last two games, I think he’s got the engine purring.
- Benjamin Morrisson. Despite starting at cornerback the last two games, Morrison has just been moved to CB1 on the depth chart. He’s getting better and better with each rep, and maybe (finally) Notre Dame can get his first interception of the season.
At the end of the night…
Notre Dame is relieved of a big day on the field in their last game and bends down to hand the ball to Audric Estime, Chris Tyree and Logan Diggs. Pyne plays his part and finds Michael Mayer and Lorenzo Styles enough times to make it interesting for what I think will be a more offensive day than others are predicting. Defensively, I think the Irish keep getting after the quarterback – and that’s the game the Irish get a lot of turnovers at. It’s party time in Vegas. Irish 38, BYU 20.